The [+] Program
The CMDA Dental Residency Plus trains and equips dentists to provide excellent dental care to the poor domestically and internationally in response to the call of Jesus to preach the Gospel and heal the sick.
Why do a Residency?
The CMDA Dental Residency Plus provides a unique combination of exceptional clinical experience and discipleship. The dentists we accept into The [+] Program intend to spend their lives serving the underserved through dentistry in urban areas or internationally among unreached people groups. In both scenarios graduating dental students benefit greatly from clinical training with difficult cases, exposure to living cross culturally in the neighborhoods of need, and with intentional discipleship to be able to train others in the future.
The [+] Program Framework
- Discipleship | Being and Making Disciples
Together with other residents, dentists, and other professionals, residents will navigate what it looks like to be compassionate doctors and obedient disciples of Jesus Christ equipped to carry the Gospel through dentistry domestically and internationally.
- Community | Living in and Loving on Our Neighborhood
Our patients are our neighbors. Residents will live in the neighborhoods where we work and live, building relationships with our neighbors, and gaining exposure to the lives many of our patients lead.
- Dental Excellence | AEGD Residency
Complete the NYU Lutheran Medical Center Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) Residency with clinical training at Christ Community Health Services and the University of Tennessee. For specific information about the requirements of the AEGD program please see the NYU Lutheran Medical Center description.
The [+] Program Overview
Year 1 - Residency
Complete the NYU Lutheran Medical Center AEGD Residency in Memphis, TN while living in community and receiving clinical training at Christ Community Health Services (CCHS) and the University of Tennessee.
Year 2 and year 3 - staff dentist
Hired as a dentist at CCHS for 2 years that include an international rotation, training other residents, learning about practice management and growing in leadership.
The "Plus" of the [+] Program
- Join a tight community of like-minded residents and others associated with Christ Community Health Services
- Obtain an AEGD certificate from NYU Lutheran Medical Center
- Earn a resident stipend in Year 1
- Upon completion of the AEGD Residency, join Christ Community as a full-time dentist for Year 2 and Year 3 with a salary comparable to other community health centers
- Eligible for loan repayment through the National Health Service Corps in Year 2 and Year 3
- Intensive clinical training with a mentor dentist in an urban dental clinic among the underserved
- Access to training opportunities through the nationwide CMDA network
- Up to a month-long paid international rotation in Year 2
- Practice management and residency program leadership in Year 2 and Year 3
- Be commissioned to serve others through dentistry in the name of Jesus at our annual graduation celebration
- Enhanced cross-cultural understanding through our curriculum and through living and worshipping in the communities in which we serve
Beyond the Dental Chair
Our vision for dentists that graduate from the CMDA Dental Residency Plus is that they would be equipped to boldly love God and love their neighbor through dentistry among the poor domestically and internationally. The [+] Program focuses on developing competency to serve in these three areas:
- Community Dentistry | The Gospel in dentistry among the poor
Graduates of The [+] Program will be equipped to provide high quality care to the underserved, function in leadership roles at community health centers, and be able to start clinics similar to Christ Community Health Services in other underserved areas of the country.
Global Dentistry | Dentistry among unreached peoples
We desire that graduates of The [+] Program will move among the least reached people groups to use dentistry as a means to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and heal the sick and hurting in his name. During Year 2 our dentists will have the opportunity to spend their international rotation in one of these areas.
Residency Leadership | Training among the underserved
CMDA is looking to establish programs just like this across the country in similarly underserved areas. We desire that graduates of the CMDA Dental Residency Plus will pursue opportunities to establish and lead dental residencies domestically to raise up like-minded dental disciples and internationally to provide quality clinical training for indigenous dentists worldwide.
Apply for the [+] Program
- Graduate of a U.S. or Canadian dental school
- A valid Tennessee Dental License
- Heart for living among and serving the underserved in the name of Jesus
- Flexibility and a pioneering spirit
- Apply for the NYU Lutheran Medical Center AEGD Residency - Memphis with clinical training at Christ Community Health Services and the University of Tennessee through the PASS system. The CMDA Dental Residency Plus staff participate in the interview process.
- Apply for the CMDA Dental Residency Plus at Christ Community Health Services.
- Applicants will be invited to come to Memphis to interview and tour facilities.
- Those who are accepted will attend a weeklong orientation in June before the beginning of the NYU Lutheran Medical AEGD Residency.